Tuesday 22 December 2009

Redemption & Atonement



Having created and posted my Thomas The Tank Engine video in a moment of seasonal madness, I realised after sobering up (following the Works’ Christmas Do) that that in order to redeem myself, and the reputation of Grumpy Git Productions (such as it isn’t) a pretty good film would need to be created if there was to be any atonement whatsoever.  Fortunately, a weekend of snow and exceptionally bright and clear days over the weekend had provided me with everything, and more, that I could ask for when making a film.  I was wondering how the weather would affect the running of the Santa Specials, especially given that the shiny and expensive Eurostars were grinding to a halt underneath the English Channel due to – wait for it - snow.  But the 55 year old BR Standard 5 soldiered on, along with the rake of post-war Wagon-Lits coaches.  That’s progress.

My visit to the Nene Valley is documented in the post below, and Sunday proved to be even better in many ways – although the snow was starting to melt in more exposed places as it was, apparently, warmer than Saturday.  Try telling that to the contents of my boxer shorts after standing in a snowy field for over an hour to get a particular shot.

Despite a couple of mistakes, I had sufficient film in the can to create my Winter Wonderland video – something I never dreamed I’d have the opportunity to make.  I wanted to make a seasonal, rather than Christmassy, film on this occasion.  Christmas is adequately covered in the light hearted Turkey on the Orient Express; for Winter Wonderland I was after quality shots of the train in the fantastic natural surroundings.  Mostly these succeeded, but in one unmistakable scene, the shadow of the photographer (that would be me) is clearly visible in the foreground.  Yes, I committed the cardinal and unforgivable sin of getting in my own photo, as I misjudged the angle of the sun and the effect that it would have on shadows when setting up the shot.  The low angle of sun made me about 50 feet tall (although on the bright side, you should see what it did for the aforementioned contents of my boxer shorts.  Let’s just say there were no complaints at the Work’s Do, and put a lid on that one).  I have to be honest here, and say that considering I had nigh on an hour to set this scene up, it’s something that should have been avoided.  In future there’ll be less concentration on the benefits of winter shadows, and a bit more on photography.  Although you have to make your own entertainment in the middle of a field covered in snow in temperatures of around zero.  My first thought was to delete the scene, but it’s a great pan of the train at that point, so I kept it in.  Bear with me on that one.

The music was an easy choice; seasonal but not festive was again the remit here.  Sleigh Ride has long been a favourite piece of mine, particularly the instrumental version performed by a full orchestra – although the annoying neighing of the horses had to be edited out, so that the whistle of the iron horse could be heard – infinitely better!  The music perfectly matches the motion of a train to my mind and was a natural choice.  The second half of the film needed to keep the same pace and rhythm in order to maintain continuity, but with a big ending to suit the arrival of the train back at Wansford.  Ironically it would be Sleigh Ride again, but this time the Troika by Prokofiev. 

Perhaps Grumpy Git Productions have now redeemed themselves following Apocalypse Thomas.  Maybe it was all a clever ploy to make viewers appreciate this latest film even more – or proof that consuming entire bottles of Christmas Sherry isn’t clever or funny.  The NVR are running Santa Specials on Christmas Eve, so I hope to get down there for the final fling.  Well, there’s more chance of filming these trains in motion than a Eurostar at present – but mind you, choosing a musical score wouldn’t be difficult - Simon & Garfunkel’s Sound of Silence, what else?





2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed that very much, Martin! I have always loved that Lieutenant Kije...I have a feeling that Prokofiev's Classical symphony 1st movement, would be great for a steam train film, too. Your opening music also fitted very well, although when I read your blog I was doubtful...but it's great, fits the scene perfectly. What a long and heavy train! I liked all the shots, especially the long panning "in the landscape" ones, but 4.17 is super where the driver just taps the regulator for a bit more power. One of your best. Your shadow doesn't seem to be doing waht one would expect...maybe it's my computer...lol Anyway, great video and thanks for a super, entertaining, informative and funny blog...how are you going to top it in 2010? Have a great Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say I was delighted with this film, although I have Mother Nature to thank for all the hard work! The crisp snow and clear skies were an absolute dream to work with, and the lengthy train made 73050 work a bit harder, which created some great effects. All I had to do was stand in a cold field and freeze my knackers off - which is why the shadow wasn't doing quite what you expected!

    Thank you very much for your appreciative comments, today and on previous posts, as it's great to have feedback and some interaction. As for 2010; well, if I survive the Sproutfest then I plan to visit some new lines and work on developing my photography skills. I plan to maintain links with the trusty NVR though - they've promised that the Fowler 4F will be running passenger trains over the New Year holiday. Worth staying sober for, I think!

    Wishing you and Petra a great Christmas, and look forward to reading more old trucking tales in the New Year.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails