Sunday 22 November 2009

Cut, Shunt and Vote For Your Favourite Dancer



It’s been a hectic time on the Grumpy workbench.  The buildings that I mentioned below have been painted up and despatched to Warley Exhibition with The Apprentice on Saturday morning for display on the Ten Commandments stand.  I’m no fan of Warley at all; it’s too big, too busy and crowded so that you can’t see anything and it costs around a tenner to leave your car in a carpark somewhere in Somerset – leaving you with the choice of a hike that Sir Ranulph Fiennes would think twice about, or a bus ride with 150 bobble hats, none of whom have ever watched a Lynx commercial and thought, ‘Eh up, deodorant -what a great idea!  Not only will I smell nice, some bird will drop her knickers for me.’  Or have I misinterpreted the ad?  Of course, this could easily backfire at Warley, and Pete Waterman would drop his … no, no, no, let’s not go there.  Anyway, based on bitter and aromatic previous experiences, I decided not to go.  Other duties beckoned over the weekend – a trip to the Nene Valley that I cancelled due to inclement weather conditions (fair weather photographer and proud of it) and Christmas shopping, after Zoë Ball cheerfully woke me up with the news that the great event is a mere 34 days away.  In case you’re wondering, Zoë was on Radio 2.  She didn’t bring me my Weetabix in person and casually drop Christmas into the conversation.  Maybe next year.

Modelling has made good progress lately, and along with the buildings I’ve now got umpteen coats of primer and gloss white onto the Contikits train, ready for application of the livery itself.  I’ve also made progress with the car transporter, seeing as I had the aerosols out.



The chassis of the Actros truck has been cut, and the Iveco artic unit underframe has had similar treatment in order that I can cut-and-shunt the Iveco cab onto the truck itself.  Joining the two bits together was tricky, as there wasn’t much material to work with, but it seems to be holding so far.  I just hope that I measured everything correctly, as there’s no going back now.  I usually measure after I’ve cut and discovered that the parts don’t fit.  The basic body and chassis components have been primed and painted into company colours – fortunately we have a pretty basic livery that is easy to reproduce.  My boss has helped me out here, because he won’t pay to have my Iveco done up in our flash new company vinyls, which would be a bugger to make and fit as they’re the wraparound variety.  Consequently, all I need to create are some straightforward lettering sets.  The boss doesn’t see any return on spending five grand on a truck that breaks down every fortnight.  My argument that if I’m stuck on the A1 causing a 12 mile tailback, then why not get the company name out there as free advertising doesn’t seem to have gone down particularly well.   Especially as I’ve altered the contact telephone number on the cab, so when people ring up to complain or make enquiries, they find that they’ve voted to keep Ali Bastion on Strictly for another week.

I’m not entirely as daft as I look.


2 comments:

  1. Those people on the bus....reminds me of the Co-op in Blaenau. It's not too much to ask, is it, a bit of soap and water? You forgot to mention the two foot nostril hairs, though!

    I'm not a great fan of big shows either, although sometimes it's worth it...Dundee has always been a tremendous show, often overshadowing it's flashy schoolchum, Glasgow.

    Had to chuckle at your comments on measuring. My partner always says..."did you measure it?" Yes, I reply. She looks at me with a superior smile..."Well that's why it's wrong, then!" I now use bits of paper with markings on and a set of dividers..lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, the nose hairs are such a turn on, aren't they? I have to wonder if any of this lot glance in a mirror from time to time. As far as Scottish shows go, I can recommend Perth and Falkirk. I've traded and exhibited at both, always receiving a warm welcome and a genuine atmosphere. Neither show is overly large, but plenty of variety with many layouts that aren't seen here in the deep south. The modelling is to a high standard, so there is a lot on offer. The after-show hospitality is pretty good, too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails